Thursday, March 04, 2004

Design and Content and the Tasteful Art of Compromise

George Wallace of a fool in the forest fame mentioned my blog on Tuesday (thank you George.) a fool in the forest is never foolish and always appealing in both design and content.

Speaking of design, I received an email from a reader who courteously complained of the italics in my posts. I have to agree with her; they are unattractive and very difficult to read. I’ve figured out the template formatting scheme but I’m still searching the post formatting possibilities (if anyone can help please drop me a note or comment.)

As for content, George in his welcome note said “Greg doesn't have much to say about grapes or wines as such, but he has structured his site around a viticultural metaphor -- and a properly wine-dark color scheme -- and that's good enough for me.” And that’s true enough that I haven’t said anything about wine, although I intend to.

But I am not a wine aficionado, just a fan of good inexpensive wines. It is my belief that anyone can produce a quality item for high cost, but it’s truly remarkable when someone produces a quality item for low cost. Like great politics, the art is in the compromises made. So in my discussions of wine you will very seldom read of any bottle costing more than $15. In my next post I will mention one of these wines.

No comments: