Friday, March 19, 2004

What's wrong with peace, love, and understanding

1.
After two nights of snow, the ground this morning was a sugary wonderland. A sweet powder had spilled from the heavens, and I’m not talking cocaine honey. Even the roads were white with that frozen confection. The river though was one slate-gray ribbon running through a fair world of late winter, really springtime, snow. I thought that would be my general condition. I thought I’d be depressed from such a snowstorm after weeks of warmer weather. I thought I’d be slate-gray at best. But I wasn’t. How can one despise such sweetness.

2.
Beverly and I decided tonight. The way to world peace is ice cream. Gather all world leaders and keep them stocked in ice cream cones of their favorite flavors, and let them work their bs out. No one can be belligerent while licking chocolate ice cream. Or black raspberry. Or maple walnut. Or…

3.
There’s been some low talk about Rhina Espaillat’s poetry in some places. Mike Snider makes a great defense. But the best defense is Rhina’s wonderful poetry. Here’s a few links to some of her poems on-line. Read them and enjoy. And have a Ben & Jerry’s. I’ll take coffee toffee crunch tonight. Chill out people.

http://www.poemtree.com/Espaillat.htm
http://myweb.northshore.edu/users/mleavitt/rhina/

No comments: