For My ContemporariesI'm not seconding that emotion although I do believe he touches on a third rail of truth. There is a certain ponderous psychosis in some contemporary American poetry, a well-earned lunacy albeit, but one that needs a little tempering with, if not quietude, then calm, sometimes.
How time reverses
The proud in heart!
I now make verses
Who aimed at art.
But I sleep well.
Ambitious boys
Whose big lies swell
With spiritual noise
Despise me not!
And be not queasy
To praise somewhat:
Verse is not easy.
But rage who will.
Time that procured me
Good sense and skill
Of madness cured me.
A THOUSAND THINGS
-
Now that it will be the night of the Harvest Moon, here is an old autumn
waka by Ōe no Chisato: Looking at the moon,And feeling the sadness In a
thousand t...
6 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment