Tuesday, November 30, 2004

iPod EQ Settings and Curves

We interrupt this as-of-late aimless blogging (and a-listening to Dylan's Basement Tapes) for this public service announcement concerning iPods and their EQ settings. If, like me, you were wondering about the actual settings of each, here are the frequency response curves (PDF) for each one. I found the link here (scroll almost all the way down to the section titled "Equalization.")

The author details his favorite settings, one of which, Acoustic, is one of mine also. It nicely brightens in the mid-range making up for one of my car speakers' deficits. I also like the Dance setting, not because I'm frequenting the discos, but because it supplies a heavy boost to the bass as well as a similar boost in the midrange as the Acoustic.

I spent much time searching Apple's site for information concerning the EQ settings to no avail, and after much googling discovered this information, which has been very helpful. Readers and future searchers: I hope this helps you too. Now back to the Basement Tapes:
The next day everybody got up
Seein' if the clothes were dry.
The dogs were barking, a neighbor passed,
Mama, of course, she said, "Hi!"
"Have you heard the news?" he said, with a grin,
"The Vice-President's gone mad!"
"Where?" "Downtown." "When?" "Last night."
"Hmm, say, that's too bad!"
"Well, there's nothin' we can do about it," said the neighbor,
"It's just somethin' we're gonna have to forget."
"Yes, I guess so," said Ma,
Then she asked me if the clothes was still wet.
from Bob Dylan's Clothes Line Saga. Probably one of the best statements on the mundanity (or sublimity, you decide the EQ) of our lives. It brings a smile sometimes. Not all the time. Well, just in time to press that publish button.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Greg-
Sorry I haven't visited lately. Life interferes with Bloggin'....anyway, thanks for the link.
Here's a tip backatcha: Have you seen the King/O'Nan book "Faithful"? It's a wonderful chronicle of the 2004 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP season :).
I'm not a huge fan of either author, but 57 pages into this, I rate it quite good.
Have a great day.

son rivers said...

Actually a bookseller in Bar Harbor showed it to me (I guess my World Champions Red Sox cap may have been a giveaway.) But I haven't picked it up yet. But it's no my wish list.

son rivers said...

ON my wish list. Damn those typos.