Monday, June 13, 2005

Serial Sonnet: Rose-breasted Grosbeak Act 3

But wait. Double-coded? I think that could be key. Something that harkens back to the past, but at the same time plays on a contemporary (postmodern if you like) tension. Something that is “legible to all” but also “intelligible only to those who share the designer's knowledge.”
But then I saw that vivid patch of red
and knew such logic quite illogical.
Instead, its cold-blooded but spirited
existence was something more than physical—
Don’t think too much on this one though. It’s single-coded only. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Afterword: OK, key up the Twilight Zone theme. So I'm reading Thoreau's Journals to blog tonight, and OK, I may have said something like, Henry give me something cool tonight, it's my half-birthday the 13th. And I get this for 6/13/1853:
What was that rare and beautiful bird in the dark woods under the Cliffs, with black above and white spots and bars, a large triangular blood-red spot on breast, and sides of breast and beneath white? Note a warble like the oriole, but softer and sweeter. It was quite tame. I cannot find this bird described. I think it must be a grosbeak. At first I thought I saw a chewink, it sat within a rod sideways to me, and I was going to call Sophia to look at it, but then it turned its breast full toward me and I saw the blood-red breast, a large triangular painted spot occupying the greater part of the breast.
How weird is that? Thank you Henry. The rest of you can read the rest here. But really, what did Will say: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Tell me about it. Fade out with Twilight Zone theme still playing.

Epilogue: This is both wise and in turn spectacularly cool. G'nite.

No comments: