Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Poetics of Black Elk Speaks (Ebook Online)

When the grasses were beginning to show their tender faces again, my father and mother asked an old medicine man by the name of Black Road to come over and see what he could do for me. Black Road was in a tepee all alone with me, and he asked me to tell him if I had seen something that troubled me. By now I was so afraid of being afraid of everything that I told him about my vision, and when I was through he looked long at me and said: "Ah-h-h-h!," meaning that he was much surprised. Then he said to me: "Nephew, I know now what the trouble is! You must do what the bay horse in your vision wanted you to do. You must do your duty and perform this vision for your people upon earth. You must have the horse dance first for the people to see. Then the fear will leave you; but if you do not do this, something very bad will happen to you."
And
"I think I have told you, but if I have not, you must have understood, that a man who has a vision is not able to use the power of it until after he has performed the vision on earth for the people to see."
The complete Black Elk Speaks ebook online in pdf, courtesy of University of Nebraska Press.

UPDATE:

The UNP link appears to be a dead one.

Here's the book on the First Peoples site

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool - thank you for the link.

Frog said...

Anyone know if the PDF is still available somewhere? Post the link if so. Thanks.