Saturday, January 14, 2006

All the World's an Adjective and Not a Noun

Today's Footnotes First:

road; In a Dark Time: Sunny Side Up; "Convinced that all roads could lead to God, I somehow found myself walking a maze of roads instead of traveling the Highway to Heaven."

nature; Gristmill:
A bit of rambling: What is 'nature'?; "How do we conceive of nature and humanity, environmentalism itself, without the supernatural?"
No Damned Road, No Damned Nature

The road to nature runs
through old religious grounds.
Maps get hawked by priests.
I bought my Mobil Atlas
at the Catholic Church
on Park and Broadway. Don’t
go looking for it though.
They tore it down some time
ago to fabricate
a bigger CVS.
So when that atlas crashed

I tried all kinds of new
prescriptions. Everything
looked real until it wasn’t.
Staring at resultant
pandemonium
before my eyes, I saw
the road was nothing but
perspective leading nowhere
fast. And so I stopped
to see the obvious
is wholly mysterious.

~Son Rivers 2006

1 comment:

Loren said...

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant.

And I think I ended up going back to Emerson and Thoreau, too, right where i had started.