Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Southwest 18: KJV Sonnet 1: Innocent


Also in thy skirts is found the blood of the souls
     of the poor innocents: I have not found it by secret
     search, but upon all these


Cursed be he that taketh reward to slay an innocent
     person. And all the people shall say, Amen.
Remember, I pray thee, who ever perished, being innocent?
     or where were the righteous cut off?
Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent
     and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.
If the scourge slay suddenly, he will laugh at
     the trial of the innocent.
I am afraid of all my sorrows, I know that thou
     wilt not hold me innocent.
Upright men shall be astonished at this, and the innocent
     shall stir up himself against the hypocrite.
The righteous see it, and are glad: and the innocent
     laugh them to scorn.
He shall deliver the island of the innocent: and it is
     delivered by the pureness of thine hands.

I am clean without transgression, I am innocent; neither
     is there iniquity in me.
So he that goeth in to his neighbour's wife; whosoever
     toucheth her shall not be innocent.
A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that
     maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.
He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh
     reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things
     shall never be moved.
He may prepare it, but the just shall put it on, and
     the innocent shall divide the silver.
Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom shall be a desolate
     wilderness, for the violence against the children of Judah,
     because they have shed innocent blood in their land.

~Dig Chase 2006

No comments: