Saturday, May 08, 2004

Abu Ghraib

I try to stay away from politics on this page but every now and then I need to speak, because I speak in these pages on other matters, so I need to know I've spoken on those critical issues when they arise, just to know I've spoken. Most issues of policy are beyond my authority, although I know what I believe and vote accordingly. But Abu Ghraib is beyond authority. It is evil and as a nation we must say so.

I've read so much from both sides of the political spectrum in the past few days that sicken me. And the madness is beyond the pale. It mostly follows this pattern: Abu Ghraib was wrong but...

There is no fucking "but" to this, and to even for one minute entertain that there is implicates your very soul in the madness. I don't care if you're Linda Chavez or Rush Limbaugh or Joe Lieberman. As a nation we cannot abide these actions. Every rationalization is a pebble in the beginning of an avalanche towards insanity.

I am proud that as a nation we are disgusted with these actions. I am proud that as a nation we wish to investigate and punish (and rehabilitate) the wrongdoers (and hope we don't stop at just some fall guys.) I am proud that there is a national sense of shame about these incidents. I am hopeful that as a nation we can recognize that the potential for evil is not just in the other, but even in ourselves.

But I worry we end our condemnations with "but." I worry about the future of our nation (and our children, [my daughter]) if we allow our national argument to include such rationalizations to enter its heated debate. As that great cartoon character Pogo (I date myself I know) once said: "we have met the enemy and he is us." Long live democracy (no irony intended.)

To all Iraquis and to the world, I am heartfully sorry and apologize. May God forgive us.

No comments: