Monday, May 24, 2004

Deja Won't

So I'm supposed to be at the graduation of Beverly's daughter at Boston College listening to Tim Russert go on but there's some deja vu not happening. The first: I saw Tim Russert speak at my daughter's graduation last year. And the second: I was to graduate myself from BC thirty years ago. The latter did not happen due to the draft lottery driving me crazy free. The former isn't going to happen because of the rain. The graduation has been moved inside and there aren't enough tickets to go around, so here I am at the BC library typing this epistle to you. So I'll share the poem I wrote for Beverly's daughter:
BC 2004

Four years of Boston College
Monday morning spells
and Aristotle potions
drunk, the decibels
are ringing now for you.
It's time to barbeque

the fast philosophies
and toast the dollars lost
to youth. Your time is space,
discovery the cost
of all the tests you took.
Now you can write the book.
So I know it's just the weather, but thirty years have passed and I still won't be attending a BC graduation. There's some deja that just won't vu.

No comments: