Friday, May 14, 2004

Say Amen

The current state of international affairs has me downright depressed and feeling that if we thought the 20th century was full of madness, you ain't seen nothing yet. I think Yeats was channeling these times when he wrote the following lines in his poem The Second Coming:
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Furthermore, nationally, there is a divide that is growing into something like a political civil war. I'm beyond speech. But some thankfully aren't. Like Dr. Omed. Read him (see his page for the italics in the following quote and more) and be healed:
Hatred isn’t just for conservative fundamentalist Christians and Moslems, anymore. They are teaching the world to hate, in perfect harmony. I have learned hatred from the righteous; in the words of Psalm 139, “I hate them with a perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.” I don’t like hating people, but I do. Another occasion of sin, courtesy of Osama Bin Laden and George W. Bush. In the end, it could be that Osama Bin Laden's Nunc Dimittis (Luke 2:29 "Lord, lettest thou thy servant depart") was to set off not a war against terror but a war of terrors, a war of shadows made real, fear vs. fear, us vs. them, Neocons vs. all comers, a psy-ops civil war waged via the internet and mass media. I don't think it's too strong a term to call it civil war. If my wife were awake, she might look over my shoulder at this point, and say, “It’s all about dicks.”
Amen brother.

No comments: