Friday, May 21, 2004

Springtime for Greg and Massachusetts

I can’t remember a spring as green as this in New England. It’s been some years since trees have leafed so early in the month of May. I myself haven’t seen this kind of lushness since the Columbia River Valley eight years ago this month. Its good to stop and smell the maple trees and maybe write a springtime verse or two.
May

This green is like no faith
I've ever confessed before.
Lust-filled landscapes wheel
around a curvature
of worm and vegetable
reserves. It's audible,

this unexpected well
of infinite appeal.
I hear the ministers
and comic tramps get real.
I listen to the trees
produce parentheses

(we know that by July
the sky wears Panama)
and birdsong. Day assembles
gasoline algebra
and moonlight whys of beach.
Nothing is exxed from reach.

Gregory Perry 2004
We now return to our regular programming.

No comments: