Sunday, February 22, 2004

More on Free Verse Line Measure

I posted the link concerning william watkin's blog on Eratosphere. Fred Longworth made a studied reply that begins to address the issue. I'm quoting one highlight from that response:

Some poets set up their lineation so that the first word of every line is a strong word like a noun, verb or vivid adjective, as opposed to a weak word like a proposition or article. I pretty much go along with this.

If possible, the lineation should reinforce, or ironically counterpoint, the overall texture of meaning of the poem.


But you need to read his complete response here: Eratosphere.

A reader, Robt, had this response posted in comments here (see comments to this post):

while at the NY Studio School I painted a 15-ft long canvas composed of vertical stripes, masked off, varying from an eighth to three fourths of an inch in width. Superficially siumilar to one of the Davis works, but here my goal was to produce absolute lack of harmony or pattern: I wanted the viewer to be unable to subdivide this canvas in any rational or rhytmic way. That I succeeded was manifested by the fact that nearly everyone who looked at the painting said it bugged the hell out of them :-) Sounds like a similar principle here...

In othewr words, for this poem, he's doing "anti-lines", trying to give us lines we can't accept and insist on in some manner breaking down ourselves.

Why, I don't know...


I too don't know. And although Fred's response does away with magic, I'm not sure if it's more than a how-to for dividing prose into lines.

No comments: