Saturday, February 21, 2004

Readers Comments

Loren Webster said in comment to Van Morrison, Bad Free Verse, and Cinnamon Hair Coloring

Not sure about your poetry, but Van certainly isn't too shabby in recent songs like "Down the Road" and "Man Has to Struggle."

Throughout his career he's managed to include a gem or two in nearly every album, while filling most of them with derivative, if not merely whining songs.

Still, I've bought more albums by him than by any other singer


I'd have to agree completely. In the latest CD, there are indeed some gems, one being St James Infirmary. But there is so much whining. There are at least five songs that bemoan his fame. It's not confessional; it's simply crying. "Let the whining boy moan" he sings in one song, and he does.

But other than those of Bob Dylan, I too have bought more of his CDs than any other singer. When he gets it right, it is pure poetry.

Oh. But I'm not sure about my poetry either.

No comments: