Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Articulating a Manifesto (part 1)

Vacations for me stop my life in midstream. I am immersed in idle waters. And baptized in a way to a new consciousness, not a conversion, but still some new insight. It’s not something easily communicated or even understood. It’s more like something perceived. I know too often it disappears in the rush of the everyday that surely comes no matter how I wish it wouldn’t. But maybe if I blog it, it will come (for good).

My work no longer is fulfilling, but let me leave that at that. Instead, I’d like to concentrate on my avocation: poetry. I don’t wish to quantify the angels on the tip of an iambic foot nor question the political significance of language. What I do want to do, though, is articulate, what Van Morrison called, the inarticulate speech of the heart, if to no one but myself. Why? Because, as a conscious being, I can. And because, like Everest, it’s there. But most importantly, because I want to.

(to be continued)

No comments: