Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Taking a Short Walk on a Long Poem

I’m glad to see Mike Snider’s back. There’s too few formalists blogging as there is, but I’m always engrossed by what he has to say, often stirred, and sometimes inspired. He brought up the long poem, of which, truth be told, I’m not that much a fan (I can follow something the equivalent length of a short story, like Frost’s work in “North of Boston,” but anything longer just bores me silly, but that’s most likely the fault of a shortened attention span from too many situation comedies like Seinfeld and the ilk, although I think the poet, after some undefined but expanded length should look the way of the novel). But he has some things to say worth thinking about, and I’m looking forward to his own foray.

But sonnet cycles on the other hand…. Let me tell you.

2 comments:

Feithline said...

Sonnets are yummy. :)

F

Anonymous said...

Fred Chappell's midquest is a long poem I like