Friday, April 01, 2005

Lincoln Loved Whitman

There’s been much talk, even books, about the sexuality of Abraham Lincoln and Walt Whitman, that they were gay. It’s interesting speculation for one who is interested in both history and poetry. But April F. Jones, a good friend who has been working on a dissertation concerning Walt Whitman has found proof positive that not only was Whitman gay, but also Lincoln.

She has found letters in the Whitman collection previously unknown. One is from Lincoln to Whitman. April has kindly allowed me to quote from its beginning:
My Dearest Walter

Without you the White House is merely gray. How I miss our tempestuous time together. I wish I could twirl my fingers through you long beard and gaze into your eyes again. We could again write love poems to one another. Mine would remember our short time together endlessly rocking.
Even more astounding was the short copy of a note that Whitman sent to Lincoln, dated April 13, 1861. In it he said his emotional goodbye, “Our country will need you more than I. Farewell my captain. From your sailor. We will always have the Lincoln bedroom.”

I can’t wait for this dissertation to be finished. April has approached a publisher, and this autumn a book will be published, tentatively titled, “Calamus in DC: Walt Whitman, Abraham Lincoln, and their Short but Tempestuous Love Affair (Not That There’s Anything Wrong With That)”

2 comments:

BeckoningChasm said...

Now that was fun. You had me til I took a second note of the researcher's name.

son rivers said...

Just the adolescent in me taking a spin.