Monday, May 16, 2005

When Poets Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd

Of course Dave is right (see the comments in that post): “Ron who? I'm almost serious. I'm glad he links me, but I've never read his blog” But why is Ron so hateful towards those he mocks as quietudinous. It’s very psychological I’m sure. Poor Ron.

Of course, Dave is wrong: “if someone tells me that some writer or work is important, I run from it as fast as I can…BUT I have discovered any number of poets I consider great simply by browsing in the bookstore or library.” Well, the simple fact that those poets that Dave discovers are in bookstores and libraries attests to someone deciding that they are supposedly important.

The problem in contemporary poetry is the gauntlet that’s been established for such recognition. There are two things that determine hierarchy in the U.S.: politics and marketplace competition. It’s becoming more obvious to me that politics have become the ruling force in the official world of poetry. There is no marketplace. Just “communities” of poets circle-jerking their way to self-satisfaction.

Poor Ron. Poor us.

But more importantly, the lilacs are coming! The lilacs are coming! More at noon I hope.

No comments: