Monday, June 14, 2004

Graceful Movement

Although Acadia National Park is a most beautiful spot (paradise in New England,) the wildlife is limited to the flying kind. Maybe a deer will be seen here or there, but not much else. That's why a simple snake can register such surprise.

Paradise

Roots have been exposed along the trail.
Persistent hiking boots have worn away
the earth around them. They look the way I feel—
even the spruce trees have turned completely gray.
I see a snake!. At first I think it’s just
another tendril loose from all that wear.
But then I see its tongue. In woods we trust
but everything is soon in disrepair
except this snake. It slides with certain grace
reminding me that movement is itself
a blessing.
Sorry to end it so abrupt. Last night I thought it was finished, but this morning I realize the last 3.5 lines were very wrong. For anyone interested that first revision is here. Sometimes the most graceful movement in writing a poem is pressing the backspace key.

2 comments:

Geofhuth said...

The second-to-last sentence is the best: "In woods we trust..." The ending word to the whole poem, tho, forces me back--intentionally?--to James Wright's "A Blessing."

Geof

son rivers said...

I do like that sentence myself. As for intentional. No. But I am leaning on ending the poem there. It's certainly unconventional form-wise. But I think the inherent meaning makes it work.